Monday, April 11, 2005

Veggie Tales

I did something this weekend I hardly ever do: I bought broccoli.

I have no clue why. Call it a mad impulse, if you will. An act of temporary insanity brought on my the alarming lack of phytochemicals in my system.

I currently have in my refrigerator in a state of semi-rot, the following forlorn veggies: green peppers, romaine lettuce, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, cucumber and cauilflower. I also have some very freeze-addled peas lounging in the freezer. Added now to this motley collection is my arch-nemisis, the aforementioned brocolli.

I have no problem with fruit. Fruit is aesthetically pleasing. Fruit is portable and does not require cooking. Fruit is sweet! Exhibit A:




It's just the veggies that continue to elude me gastronimically. They are oddly shaped and shame me with my inability to cook them into anything other than mush. I just don't see eye to eye with them. They are from Mars, I am from Venus. There is no meeting of the minds between us. We need an interpreter. We need a neutral third party to mediate. I'm thinking the United Nations of Tempura Batter might help.

At least my veggie shopping was a workout. I've finally figured out a grocery-hauling system that works to my satisfaction. I submit Exhibit B:




The only problem came when I unloaded one side and the bike promptly fell over. The only casualties, though, were some bruised strawberries. That just means I have to eat them sooner, is all.

========

In other news, I bought a pedometer to see if this will help motivate me to exercise on the days I don't run.

This weekend I ran 6.1 miles for the first time, in 75 minutes. That's a 12:17 pace, according to the pace calculator.

The next morning I ran 3 miles for the first time in a group of other women. They were doing a run/walk session of 5 minutes running and 1 minute walking, which was interesting for me. The women completed a marathon last winter this way.

My knees hurt the rest of the weekend, and my hamstrings were incredibly tight. I was hobbling around everywhere. I'm going to try a Pilates class this week, just for kicks.

And then the weirdest thing happened. All this time I've been running, my clothes have still fit the same. I haven't seen a noticable difference in any of my pants or skirts, which are mostly size 14. But this weekend I went clothes shopping for the first time in over a year for some new skirts, and I had to go down to a size 10 in all of them to find a good fit.

I don't understand why my own clothes fit the same, but new clothes don't. Weird. In perhaps a positive way, but weird nevertheless.

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger neca said...

1) Congrats on the new clothes. That's great. I hope to know the feeling soon!

2) I like to grill my veggies this time of year. Marinade with a little fat free vinegarette and grill. They're great! Or you can steam. Or saute in a little olive oil. Yum....

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger brent said...

-wow, 6.1!!!!!!!! awesome!!!!!!
that is so far to run. sweet.
-i bought some celery last weekend... haven't even tried to eat it. it will get thrown out. booo.
-that is a cool fruit basket thingy.
-i hobbled this weekend too. oh my calves! maybe i should trade you my hamstrings for your calves? heh.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger vj said...

New clothes, smaller size, yay!!!

I have the same problem with veggies. I like to eat them when I go out to eat, because then someone will cook them nicely.

Sorry about the hobbling. I hope the Riva works out, though the guy sounds like a {freak!}. They are real workhorses as long as they are started regularly.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Kris said...

Hi Megan!
I just wanted to stop by and thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I'm looking forward to reading more your blog! It's funny, I have the same issues with veggies too.
Take care,
Kris

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger faye said...

Megan, I have to agree with Neca on the grilling veggies thing--I just brush mine with olive oil and veggie sprinkles seasoning and...yum!! Best combo: grilled acorn squash, mushrooms, tomatoes (yes, grilled tomatoes are to die for!--it makes grocery store bought tomatoes which are usually sort of bland full of all this flavor...yum)

I am going to have to get one of those grocery thingies for my bike. I am obsessed with not driving and using my feet and my bike as much as possible to get me places.

One of the three medical schools my fiance is looking at is in San Antonio, and I like to think that if we go there, you and I can take a bike ride!!

Oh, and I cannot fathom running 6.1 miles; you are truly She-Ra.

smiles, Faye

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Switch to frozen vegetables for a while. You can leave them in the freezer as long as you need to, and then when you're ready to face them, they're still ready to go.

I put frozen green beans in a bowl with some chicken broth, chopped garlic, lemon juice, and fresh-ground pepper. Nuke 'em for a few minutes and voila: one serving of veggies!

(Lima beans-- long my hated enemy-- were conquered with this method. Chicken broth, garlic powder, capers, and a chopped-up sun-dried tomato... mmmm.)

Or steam. Once you get the hang of steaming things, it's absurdly easy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home