Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Trip Report

The Good

  • Learning some valuable camping lessons, namely: check your gear (see below).
  • Realizing (in hindsight) that the staff at Academy Sports and Outdoors may really know that of which they speak.
  • Seeing a double rainbow during a downpour.
  • Experiencing the curious pleasure of being rained upon when the sky was blue and the sun was shining.
  • Finding that peanut butter and jelly really can be eaten for days on end with gusto and no ill effects.
  • Running into another solo hiker on a lovely trail and sharing several hours of conversation and hiking tips (the best: take long day hikes but carry a hammock and stove so you can have a leisurely mid-hike break).
  • Meeting a friendly Great Dane on a trail who snuffled his head under my chin and let me stroke his ears.
  • Loving the spent feeling of have hiked for hours in sunshine and fresh air.
  • Driving new roads and going through quaint small towns.
  • Getting away from It All.
  • Watching two geese flying low one morning over a misty lake, their white necks stretched long.
  • Sitting in my posh lawnchair (it's a rocker style and very comfy) reading a trashy novel in the shade of a tree.
  • Stopping in Austin to shop and crushing out on hippie boys with copious uncombed hair and body odor. Sigh.
  • Wishing I'd brought running shoes for an early morning jog.
  • Spotting armadillos!


The Bad

  • Finding that my tent was missing its rain guard, right as the skies began to cloud up.
  • Driving many miles in a raging downpour and galeforce winds to an REI and an Academy in search of an impromptu rainfly; politely turning down the staff member's suggestions that I purchase some tent stakes for the rain tarp.
  • Driving back to campsite to find the site shockingly empty! No tent, no lawnchair! I'd been robbed! Gasp in outrage and disbelief.
  • Fuming as I drive to the ranger station to report this scandalous theft only to see in the distance, approximately a football field away from my site, an upside-down, waterlogged tent that looks suspiciously identical to mine.
  • Dragging a waterlogged, upside tent across muddy fields, cursing all the way.
  • Finding that trashy novel is now soaked through and unreadable.
  • Realizing my tent stakes blew away with the tent.
  • Driving back to REI (Closed. Curses!) and Academy to buy tent stakes and a host of other items that suddenly seem direly important (a mallet! a swiss army knife! rope! batteries!)
  • Setting up tent and rain fly in pitch dark drizzle.
  • Slinging my hammock at second campsite in second park, only to find that string has rotted and breaks as soon as I sit in it. Retire to picnic table bench in ignominious defeat.
  • Fearing for my life during second night when, after a perfectly sunny day, a howling wind blows all night along river canyon, sounding like a banshee. The improvised rain tarp snaps loudly all night, until it is blown away by said howling wind. Take chase to recover tarp.
  • Staring up through exposed tent dome at large tree limb overhead that sways menacingly with each howling shot of wind; imagine dent it will leave in my forehead.
  • Scrambling to re-erect rain flap when unexpected downpour begins an hour later.
  • Falling on ass on muddy slope and feeling snap of heretofore-unknown ass muscle.
  • Driving in circles for 30 minutes in search of obscure county road.
  • Bringing ten books to read in spectacular display of overpacking and barely cracking one.
The Ugly

  • Never finding posh lawnchair despite an exhaustive search; conclude it has blown into the lake and met a watery death.
  • Not monitoring a certain female process and bleeding through two pairs of shorts in two days.
  • Tramping off-trail straight into a patch of noxious, stinging plants that stung my legs for a good hour.

The Upshot


Now I've got the hiking bug and have a whole list of trails I'd like to check out. May have to set aside a monthly "hiking fund" to bankroll these activities. I did have one insight during the trip worth documenting: I felt very happy physically the whole long weekend -- no stomach aches, no feelings of "fatness" or sloth or inertia. I felt very grounded in my body, very present. I realized that the times I feel out-of-sorts and out-of-tune physically are almost always at work. It's was like psychosomatic clobber over the head.

Here are some pictures:


Am fascinated by these gnarly, loopy vines. What the heck are they?



Gorman Falls



Spicewood Springs



The canyon walls along which the punishing wind howled:

10 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger margaret said...

Oh Megan ... I can't even tell you. It's like my heart is sitting in my throat right now in complete and utter happiness for you. I think that trip sounds fantastic, even with all the bad (and really quite funny) things that happened. It's wonderful that you have the courage to go off into the woods and canyons on your own.

You are a true inspiration to me.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger brent said...

great pictures and wonderful (albeit sometimes unfortunate) stories. three cheers for a great experience.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger vj said...

Those pictures are gorgeous. And camping can be such a rollercoaster of experiences. The first time I went camping as an adult, I rented a tent and spent a week in a downpour (and about 6 days soaking wet). It's a wonder that I ever went camping again after that... And you saw an armadillo! I still haven't seen a live one in the wild. Hope the good has overshadowed the bad!

 
At 3:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hereby officially declared an active lifestyle hero of mine. I think it's awesome that you went, you conquered, you survived, and you plan to do it again. How much better can it get, really? That is just the coolest!

I've had the hiking bug for a while now. I'm impatiently waiting for the weather to get a little warmer. Just like I don't like to ride my bike in the cold, I'm not too fond of hiking in the cold either. But the bug is almost bad enough to throw that out the window and say, To Hell with it, and go anyway. I think you may have just pushed me over that proverbial edge.

I wonder how long it will be before I'm ready to go solo, though? Because right now I couldn't pitch a tent by myself for nothing.

It's a goal. You've inspired me.

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger neca said...

I love camping and hiking - those are things I'm always trying to scrounge time for. I love being so active for some other reason besides "losing weight."

Lessons learned, books and chairs can be replaced. Hope you have a wonderful spring of hiking!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Christy said...

How cool! I had to laugh at your stories thought! That would SO happen to me! I have been wanting to camp solo for some time now. It's one of my goals for myself. Glad you made it back ok! :)

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mark said...

hi Megan. Just popping in to tell you I've added you to the RBF directory. Sorry it took so long!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Lara said...

It sounds like a great adventure, challenges and all! You are a woodswoman in the making!!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous adventure, Megan! Great job sticking it out...you are officially a woodswoman. :)

Edited to say: and can I just say this is *really* weird. I didn't read any of the other comments before I posted mine...and it's almost exactly like Lara's!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger brent said...

hi megan. yeah sorry i tricked ya. :) i don't really have any top secrets though hehe. i wish i knew what the secrets to the game were myself :) see ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home