Monday, April 04, 2005

Distractions

So Coach is having me work up to six miles. I'm not getting faster, though, and thus no closer to my goal of running with the club. I'm sitting at 11 minute miles, and the running club he operates runs 10 minute miles.

I realized this week what a great deal Coach is providing. I think he feels sorry for me! His normal individual sessions cost $35/hour or so. His fee for me basically works out to $4/hour. I also have a prime 5:30 p.m. slot.

He must like my company, as he does a fair bit of flirting and off-color joke telling.

I think it's innocuous, but I'll say straight up that I have terribly instincts. What if this whole cheap coaching deal is some kinky quid pro quo situation? What if I set some boundaries and I never get to run with the club because I piss him off? I just want to run with the club, people.

So I've decided to push myself a bit more over the next weeks to see if I can get to that magic 10 minute mile mark.

My motivation will be not having to deal with the weird machinations of men. Dudes! Quit it!

=====
It's amazing how much mental concentration it takes to commit to a fitness routine.

I haven't been weight lifting in three weeks. Three weeks! I got bored. I'm going to try something new by switching my lifting to my lunch hour twice a week at a gym across the street from my office. Coach says all really need to be doing, though, is sit-ups and push-ups. He's a military man, and into minimalism.

I'm in a distracted place right now. There are other things clamoring for my attention. And I'm feeling a bit petulant, honestly, about the time that fitness planning takes.

But I'll get over it. At least I feel positive that these recent distractions aren't a clever way to say I'm quitting. Not at all. They're just distractions. When I think of the next weeks and months I still envision myself running, biking and playing throughout the movie reel that unwinds in my head.

I just need to focus the image some.

5 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger vj said...

Hey there Megan --
so happy to see a post from you! Did you see this article in CitySports on tempo runs? Supposably this is the way to build speed. Not that I'd know, but it sounds good at least:
City Sports Article

I know what you mean about distractions. Boy do I know...

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger brent said...

i think you are probably over-thinking the situation...maybe he just likes coaching you and wants to help you run? of course i have never met him so i could be totally wrong. i know what you mean about being overwhelmed with all the fitness planning. i notice i tend to lift less on weeks when i run more...my brain can only take so much i guess. :)

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger neca said...

It's funny how I go along almost effortlessly for a while, then it becomes a struggle when things get stressful. No matter how long I'm at this, those cycles come where it gets tough. I'll do it if you will! :-)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Of course he wants you. Don't be ridiculous.

You are doing awesome on those runs! 5, now 6 miles? Remember when you were working yourself up to 30 minutes at a time? Remember when you were trying to finish 3 miles? I do! You are such a superstar!
xoxo
Mia

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are 2 kinds of men on this earth, those who want to sleep with you and those who are gay. Rest assurred, his loins are hot for you.

I found the 10 minute mile evasive at first, then one day it just happened. I hope you have the same thing. The real accomplishment for me is the distance, so I try not to beat myself up about the pace, though I do push myself to get faster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home