Monday, January 24, 2005

Sartorial Solutions, In Search Of

This drives me crazy:


Is it too much to ask that I be able to run without giving myself a wedgie? I've had this problem with shorts ever since I've had thighs -- in other words, forever -- but you'd think a savvy someone would come up with shorts that didn't ride up. I want to wear cute running shorts, too! It shouldn't just be something the skinny thigh girls get to do.

If anyone can offer some shopping and/or brand name suggestions, I would be eternally grateful, and the fine denizens of my neighborhood would no longer be subjected to my egregious fashion displays.

==========

I'm keeping on keeping on running. Though I still struggle with my runs, I think I may be getting a mite faster, though I don't know since I don't have a way of measuring the distances I've been running. My modest hope for my second 5K next month is to shave at least a minute off my time from my first 5K. My previous official time was 35:04. Maybe a minute is too much to hope for, maybe I should shoot for 30 seconds faster? Heck, I think I'll just be happy to come in anywhere under 35. I'm not much one to be super-competitive, but I think a faster time would indicate improved strength and fitness, which is what this whole dang thing is about.

I also went swimming this weekend. I did 25 lengths which I think is 400 meters or half a mile. I was so oxygen-deprived by the end of the swim that my brain was incapable of higher mathematical functioning. I must have swam with too much enthusiasm because my right shoulder has been aching ever since in a weird, deep-muscle kind of way.

9 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger brent said...

way to run! woohoo! nice job. i don't know about the wedgie thing for girls but i know that i bought some fancy boxers made by Under Armour and they work awesome. kind of expensive but totally anti-wedgie. :) maybe they have anti-wedgie girl shorts too :)

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger brent said...

way to run! woohoo! nice job. i don't know about the wedgie thing for girls but i know that i bought some fancy boxers made by Under Armour and they work awesome. kind of expensive but totally anti-wedgie. :) maybe they have anti-wedgie girl shorts too :)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger brent said...

oops double post. blogger needs some anti-wedgie comments features.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger faye said...

Well, I've really just got nothing on the whole wedgie issue...Except, I do have empathy. I really don't even understand the physics of why our shorts have to ride up in this particular way...and, *WHY* is it that the swizzle sticks of the world don't have this problem...Aren't their shorts respectively smaller as well? Maybe we need to call in the experts.
Faye

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

smsmh wears the climalite type material shorts, especially the Moving Comfort brand shorts (although their website doesn't show them anymore). she's ga-ga over them and never complains about wedgies. in the photo, it looks like you're wearing spandex under cotton shorts. try the synthetic running shorts with built in undies and see if that makes a difference.

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your shoulder keeps aching, read up on rotator cuff injuries. Don't let it get bad - the rotator cuff is slow to heal. My husband developed a problem with it from swimming, and he found some simple exercises on the Internet that have helped to strengthen it. Good luck! (And I wish I could swim!)

-Fran from FitNotes

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Lara said...

The first time I ran in shorts I was appalled, but picking at them as I ran was distracting enough to make the mile go by more quickly.

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger margaret said...

Oh, I'm with you, sister. What is with the freakin' wedgies? My boyfriend recently asked me why I never wore shorts, ever. It was only after a serious quantity of badgering that I finally admitted that no matter what kind of shorts I wear, I end up with them riding up my crotch. Argh.

So please, if you find the miraculous answer to this problem, LET ME KNOW!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger faye said...

Megan,
So, I have sense reflected upon this wedgie topic and upon some informal studying of the swizzle sticks of my skinny-ass college town running next to me at the part, I've decided that it's not that their shorts can't find their way crotchwardly; their shorts are just so damned tight that they aren't going anywhere.--and, if they do, it looks much cuter than when such things happen to my own shorts (but, of course, I'm sweating my butt off in what I like to think of as thinning black pants.)
:) Faye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home