Friday, November 05, 2004

One more 30 minute jogging workout and I'll be done with the Couch to 5k program. These last two runs have been fine physically, even though I am struggling with boredom towards the end of the run. Even my high-energy Queer as Folk soundtrack fails to allay that boredom. I keep expecting to attain some Zen-like state of peace during my runs, but my brain (my monkey-mind) just keeps chattering away.

I love the way I feel after the run, though. Refreshed, alert. Righteous, even, though it makes me feel guilty and silly to say so.

I've been doing a lot of thinking regarding exercise and weight loss, specifically related to this thread at the discussion forums on www.coolrunning.com. The discussion basically warns that Weight Watchers is a low-calorie diet geared toward people who are minimally or moderately active, and that if you are more active you may need to consider eating more than allowed by WW. The reasoning is that if you combine low-calorie with high activity that you create too much of a calorie deficit and the body reacts defensively by resisting weight loss. Some posters suggest that one should eat double the Activity Points to stay on the right side of the fine line between weight loss and a counterproductive level of calorie deficit.

A friend has recommended her personal trainer to me, at the local YMCA. It's not something I've considered before, but the trainer is inexpensive (relatively) and has a reputation for being knowledgeable about nutrition issues. I haven't decided whether I'll go this route. Partly, it's the time commitment, and partly it's because I don't want to get my body used to a level of physical activity that I can't realistically maintain over the long-term, and partly I dislike gyms. I also have a mad frugal streak that really thinks exercise should be free, and pooh-poohs gadgets and gym memberships.

But, it would be cool to learn how to use free-weights. They gym has a pool, too, and a rowing machine (a Concept2) which is tons of fun and which totally fuels my secret dream of being on an Olympic team in some sort of obscure sport. I figure I have a shot in either rowing, archery, or trampoline. Totally possible. Yep. I'd get my face on a cereal box, but instead of Wheaties, it would be on my new favorite cereal, Weetabix. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home