Monday, September 27, 2004

Yesterday I finished out Week 4 of the Couch to 5k plan with a lovely morning walk/run around a lakeside neighborhood near my parent's home.

This week, the plan calls for three days of running/walking that increases the time actually spent running so that by the third day I'm supposed to run for 25 minutes straight. Ack!

I have a good attitude about it and I'm just going to do my best. I have been wondering about nutrition lately, though. I signed up for Weight Watchers last week, and so far, am finding myself pretty hungry.

I already feel that on my walk/runs that I go through periods of feeling energized and periods of feeling weak, and I attribute those feelings to drops in blood sugar, so am a bit worried that I should be eating more since I'm regularly exercising. I asked the Weight Watchers leader about this but apparently the program doesn't address "activity points" until the third week of the program cycle. I'll just have to listen to my body and sneak in my peanut butter and jelly as I see fit.

3 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Hi Megan! I'm so impressed with your early morning runs! Good luck this week, you can totally do this. As for the nutrition, I'm ony writing to warn you - don't undereat. It's a common mistake when people first start exercising a lot more than usual. Also, as important as not undereating, is when you are hungry, don't load up empty calories (in other words, don't be like me! I will pick at handfuls of pretzels and goldfish and graham crackers instead of just really eating something and getting it over with). Try to have healthy grabs - mine are hard boiled eggs (I skip the yolks but eat three or four egg whites at a time - 1 pt for 3 whites, or on the core list if you choose that plan) plain chicken breasts with salsa (1 point per ounce of chicken, or on the core list) tuna with red pepper flakes and apple slices (3 points for a small can of tuna and an apple, or on the core list). My impression is that WW doesn't deal with activity during the first few weeks precisely because they want you to deal just with the portion control - exercising makes you hungry, especially when you're just learning how to be fit. If you're hungry, eat. Can't wait to hear how that 25 minutes went!

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan, Just stopping by your blog to say hello. You discovered Big Bend and the rest of west Texas, that's great! The Davis Mountains are jsut beautiful, too, you're right! So, what 5K are you training for? Good luck, Meghan

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger margaret said...

I have to agree with Mia on this one ... if you're feeling hungry then you should be eating.

The thing about starting running is that it pretty much just gives your metabolism a huge kick in the ass right away. So you should be feeling hungry and, consequently, feeding yourself more.

Eat lots! Run lots! Live happy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home