Thursday, October 21, 2004

Samba class last night was fast, fun and sweaty in the best way. The visiting instructor has the philosphy that physical activity should not be done in an air-conditioned space. It has something to do with keeping muscles warm. So whenver she comes into town, I know I'm going to work up a great all-body sweat. And also, a stink, but at least it's a well-deserved stink.

I saw all my peeps from the dance group I quit in August. I was happy to see them, and vice versa, so I'm quite releived that there appears to be no hard feelings at my defection.

But the class did remind me how much I love dancing to live music. I felt a bit uncoordinated, but I always feel thus with this particular instructor because she herself is so amazingly talented, because I'm dying to earn a word of praise from her, because she teaches quickly and expects everyone to keep up and because the style she teaches is very athletic.

Have been thinking of possibly taking some more ballroom dance classes again, mostly salsa and merengue. If not that, I might go to the weekly African dance class offered at one of the local arts centers. I even cut-out an announcement for a Contra class this weekend, which is an American folk dance -- completely out of my usual sphere of Latin-influenced dance interest. but something that I'm curious about nevertheless. Regardless, keeping myself somewhat involved in the local dance scene is valuable to my own happiness.

I've kept running this week but have also realized that cross-training -- dance, hiking -- is important to keeping myself interested in and dedicated to my own athletic improvement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home