Thursday, October 28, 2004

I'm up to 28 minutes on the jogging plan. I'd taken a break between workouts, and I certainly felt it last night during my run. I chose to walk to a University track near my house that has some sort of spongy surface, because I worry about my knees and punishing them with pavement.

The sun had set by the time I reached the track. There was an intramural flag football game going on and several runners and walkers and a racewalker on the track. I started out a bit fast, I think, because by 15 minutes in I was pooped. In fact, the whole run kinda sucked. I was pretty unhappy physically throughout and had to play some desperate mental games to keep myself from stopping towards the end.

At one point, the racewalker passed me and said "Hang it there!" as encouragement, which I appreciated, but it made me dwell on the embarassing fact that I must have obviously looked distressed. My face turns beet-red with even the slightest physical exertion, and people always seem to react with concern to this phenomenom, but the truth was that I was distressed.

But I finished, and I'll keep trying. I am worried about this enjoyment factor, and also about the fact that so far none of this running bit seems to be getting any easier. Maybe it's a fallacy to think that any sort of physical endeavor becomes easier with time and practice. Maybe it's just always hard and it's just our mental and emotional attitudes that changes. If I think back to last year, when I participated in a two-day, 150-mile bike ride, I remember that despite months of training the actual bike riding never felt like it became easier, it never felt like a breeze. I still got winded on small hills or gradual climbs, I still was slow.

This all reminded me of my confusion regarding the difference between being fit vs. being active. I'm still not certain if I'm particularly a fit person. Maybe I need to look into different measures -- like wearing the heart monitor I've never gotten around to using, or having my BMI tested. All I know is that I'm kind of ticked that this running thing remains a physical struggle.

I also gained last week at WW, which was not a surprise. I was feeling a bit discouraged, mostly because I'd been reading about the set point theory of weight loss, which essentially states that the body will fight to stay at a certain weight. I was also reading some about cultural eating habits, and despairing of being able to live in America and resist our culture of fast, processed foods. I read about French eating habits -- they eat buttery, rich foods, but don't snack much, eat smaller portions and walk a lot. I remembered living in Chile for three years as a child, where the tradition is to eat a big lunch meal often consisting of fish, a small dinner and rarely have dessert. I remember my father's stories of Columbia, and of how those years were his healthiest and how he was never once bothered by stomach distress, which plagues him now. There was a lot of fruit and beans and rice, and again, dessert was a rare treat.

I suppose this week I was feeling like the dark forces of culture were aligned against me.

I was mad, too, because I wasted money on modified foods that tasted like crap -- 85% and 25% fat-free peanut butter = crap. Sugar free jelly = crap. Double fiber bread = crap. There's no way I can sustain this new eating lifestyle if I'm mad about eating crap. It all comes down to the PB&J, folks.

I'm going to hang in WW till the end of this year, and then decide whether to continue or not. If I lose weight, great. If I don't, I'll put all my focus on being fit. If I lose and gain it back, I'm not going to try and lose it again. I don't want to subject my body to that kind of strain. I've never really dieted before, and I don't want to turn into a yo-yoer. So this is going to be my one serious effort to lose -- for the sake of my future self's health (and even that idea, that weight loss for non-morbidly obese people results in significant health benefits, the scientists question) -- and I'm just going to take whatever happens and roll with it.

12 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Congratulations on the running! I think it does get "easier" (just look at you - you couldn't run 28 minutes in a row last month!) but then we automatically push ourselves - further and faster - which takes up the slack in the "easy" department and keeps it challenging.

I'm reluctant to even say this, because one of my pet peeves is people at WW meetings who are forever searching for that 1 point tortilla or cookie, but I have to let you in on a secret in case you don't know it. Because I am a kindred PB&J spirit, I will tell you about Wonder Light bread. Italian version. They also make wheat and sourdough, both very good. They have that ridiculous soft and chewy Wonder Bread sensation, with a 1 point for *2* slices "price tag". I put on what amounts to a half serving of Goober Grape [which has PB and J all mixed together - not the best PB, but you could do it however you want. I do it this way because I'm lazy :)] So my entire, soft, chewy, very yummy PB&J is 4 points, 3 points if I don't pile on the Goober *too* deeply. I've been eating one everyday for lunch with apple and cheese. Tasty! I get the WB Light at the regular grocery store. It's generally not near the other Wonder Breads, but in a more "diety" bread section further down the shelf. Good luck!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestion, Mia. I think I'm just going to eat my PB&J the way I like it -- which is about 7 points all told, and just adjust elsewhere. Taste, as it turns out, is very important to me and I just get cranky if I sacrifice it for points or calories. Congratulations on your successful race!

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding weight loss picture and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Megan your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on weight loss picture was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for weight loss picture for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at weight loss picture. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on celebrity weight loss I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about celebrity weight loss. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello -> Megan <- I just wanted to let you know that this post was an interesting read and well presented. Just my two cents.

Regards,
Emotional and Mental Self Improvement

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on child weight loss I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about child weight loss. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello -> Megan <- I just wanted to let you know that this post was an interesting read and well presented. Just my two cents.

Regards,
Recursive Self Improvement

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about child weight loss. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on child weight loss and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Megan and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding free weight loss diet and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Megan your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on free weight loss diet was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for free weight loss diet for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at free weight loss diet. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello -> Megan <- I just wanted to let you know that this post was an interesting read and well presented. Just my two cents.

Regards,
Motivational Self Improvement

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding fahrenheit weight loss and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Megan your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on fahrenheit weight loss was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for fahrenheit weight loss for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really started getting into it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at fahrenheit weight loss. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Megan your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on child weight loss I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about child weight loss. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home