Thursday, September 30, 2004

The deal this morning was run 8, walk 5 and run 8. It was really hard! I suppose doing this running thing is all about learning to pace oneself. On Saturday when I'm scheduled to do the 25 minute run I'll have to really be careful to figure out when I'm pushing to hard.

At home I have all these typed mantras taped up onto walls and mirrors and doors. Some are cryptic, but they all are motivational phrases to remind me of why I wanted to improve my life, not just physically. Otherwise, I find that at the moment when I'm trying to decide whether to exercise or to do it "later", whether to cook dinner or snack for a few hours straight, that I completely forget what my motivation is about. So having some of these phrases posted makes me able to remember my own reasoning and goals.

Here are some of the phrases:

"Choose to be an athlete."
"Live your own aesthetic."
"Inhabit your body."
"Remember how the world comes alive." (this one's about the feeling I get during & after exercise)
"Eat clean to lose, exercise to maintain."
"Show up for your life."
"Act from compassion and clarity."
"Today, take the first step."
"Be mindful and keep your heart wide."
"A sure path to failure is to try and please everybody."


Last week my mom came to my apartment and I'm sure she thought I'd gone looney with all these slips of paper posted everywhere. But it works for me!

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger neca said...

Great mantras -- I may borrow some!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home