Friday, June 17, 2005

Oh, the Drama!

I haven't run much in the last two weeks, partly due to the heat but also due to a falling out of sorts with my running coach. Some of you may recall that I had sneaking suspicions of a quid pro quo motive on his behalf back when we started running.

These suspicions were fueled by several dinner outings after our running sessions (dinners for which he insisted on paying), lots of hugs that sometimes included brief kisses on the neck and once, startingly, a slap of the ass, a few outings to shop for running shoes and meet his dogs, and the telling of many off-color jokes. I always get into this sort of trouble with guys -- I think they're being friendly, and because I have very little sense of what's appropriate and think of myself as being socially uninformed (I second guess myself, as in "maybe other people DO speak in double-entendres all the time" and "maybe touchy-feelyness IS more common than I realize"), and because I'm polite and pathologically conflict-adverse and to be honest, because flirting is fun, I always end up leading people on. This is not an attractive trait.

And as several of my male acquaintances have pointed out, men apparently never just want to be friends, which frankly, disappoints me and is something I refuse to believe.

At some point I had A Conversation with him about it, letting him know that I liked his company, but that's all I was interested in. I distinctly recall using the word "tease" and saying I didn't intend to be one. "That's fine," he says, "We're cool," he says. The original rate I paid him was to join the running club, but he was the one who told me I was too slow to run with the club and offered to run one-on-one with me, even though I hadn't paid him for it. Once I realized that his personal training rate was much higher, I asked him what he wanted me to pay him. He told me not to worry about it, accepted my second check for the reduced rate, and continued to schedule one-on-one sessions with me. I also told him that if he ever needed to bump my time slot for someone who was a fully paying customer, that all he needed to do was say so. He agreed.

Last week he leaves a message on my machine saying that he can no longer run with me because he has "spoiled" me and been too "generous" and there has been some sort of "miscommunication" since I'm not paying his full rate and what I paid was the amount only to run with the running club, not one-on-one with him.

I don't have any beef with him deciding not to continue one-on-one sessions. He has a right to be paid fairly for his time. What irks me is the implication that I haven't done my best to communicate with him and that I was somehow deviously taking advantage of his services. I'm ungenerous enough to believe that the real problem is that he finally realized I wasn't going to put out.

If I think about it, he's been giving me some subtle clues in the last few weeks -- doubling-up my runs with other customers, canceling sessions, etc…, but I'm not the most astute person. All he had to do was open his mouth and say something.

I left a very polite message in response, thanking him for his time and running advice, offering to continue volunteering at races and saying that I'd most likely join up with the running club in the next few weeks.

I'm not inclined to immediately go back to the club, though I eventually will. But not having those weekly running appointments is a problem. I'm not used to running alone anymore! What's more, I considered Coach a friend, and am sad that something's gone wrong.

The day-to-day task of communicating with people and maintaining relationships just exhausts me sometimes. Ugh.

============


I'm struggling a bit right now with a feeling that time is running out. I'm sure this is a side effect of turning 30. A recurring thought I've had lately is that I need to try on a new life. This life I have now -- living in this city, working this job, seeing these faces and sights and sounds -- I know this life. I've lived this life for awhile now, too long, maybe. I think I want a new one.

Earlier this year I wrote down three words in my paper journal: Passion. Rigor. Transcendence. Yeah, I know, there could be certain connotations to those words, but lets not take the lowbrow route, shall we?

I'd like to live day-to-day with more of a sense of engagement and involvement, of pleasure. I'd like to have more intellectual rigor in my life regarding global/moral issues, and less fixation on celebrity gossip. I'd like to have more moments of feeling transported beyond my daily mundane concerns, by some sort of creative activity, listening to live music, having a good conversation, being outdoors.

I know rationally that time isn't running out. I know that if I stay in good health, I have years and years of experiences ahead of me. I guess I just want to get started.

The catch is that I have a notoriously poor track record with making decisions or making changes. I am enormously comfortable with the familiar. I don't know how to get out of this pattern of thought, this inertia of intentions. I do know that I've had variations on these same thoughts for years and years, but have never done much to implement actual changes.

What can I do differently this time?

=============


Lastly, here are some books I've read over the years that helped change in some important way how I thought about body image:

The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness by Kim Chernin
The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity by Kim Cherni
Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body by Susan Bordo
Never Satisfied : A Cultural History of Diets, Fantasies & Fat by Hillel Schwartz
The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls by Joan Jacobs Brumberg
Women En Large: Images of Fat Nudes by Laurie Toby Edison
Zaftig: The Case for Curves by Edward St. Paige
Minding the Body by Patricia Foster
Losing It: False Hopes and Fat Profits in the Diet Industry by Laura Fraser
Where the Girls Are: Growing Up Female with the Mass Media by Susan Douglas
Adios, Barbie: Young Women Write About Body Image and Identity by Ophira Edut

9 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger M@rla said...

I know I will be only the first of a gazillion comments telling you what an assh0le your coach was - you sound like you're blaming yourself, like it was your fault for not realizing where he was headed. It is SO not your fault! I'm sorry I'm being Junior Psychoanalyst here, but I've seen too many men like him to not recognize the pattern - he's manipulative. He's even gotten you feeling guilty, like you've done something wrong. (not male-bashing here; there are just as many female manipulators. I'm just overly familiar with this particular version).

I think the way you responded was perfect! You kept it professional and calm, and very reasonable. I wish you luck in finding another running situation, or in rejoining the club in the future. Maybe he'll quit (or be kicked out!)

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so unfortunate. It sounds like he's abusing what little power he has as a coach. He didn't like getting shot down, so this is his retaliation. I agree with Marla - your response was very appropriate.

I hope this won't affect your ability to get out there and put the miles in. I hope you find a new (free!) running parner. You seem like you'd be good company on a run, so people should be lining up!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger brent said...

what a weak ass punk ass piece of mother son of a crap head! what that guy did was really super lame and it pisses me off. maybe he is a cool guy, i have no idea, but what he did was just lamo.

i too am on the look out for ways to break out of the tried and true, my familiar ways. it is difficult but the adventures and routes along the way of trying to discover the unfamiliar paths DO count as part of a cool journey and discovery. you are well on your way! many great things are ahead for you.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger vj said...

I agree with Marla & Alison & Brent, though I especially like Brent's wording. This isn't your fault and I really doubt, sincerely, strongly doubt, that you were a tease. What a mf jerk!!

And, I know that major birthdays tend to bring on these age-related crises, but Megan: your life is just beginning, and I promise you that the best is yet to come. I've so much enjoyed my 40s more than my 30s, which I enjoyed more than my 20s, which I enjoyed more than my teens. It's all about self-knowledge and wisdom.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Your experience makes me sorry and sad because similar situations happened to me a few times before I was married (and once after I was married) and it was just so disappointing that someone I trusted on a particular level ultimately tried to punish me for their own dishonesty. But, if you enjoy running, don't let it get in the way of your running.

I agree with VJ that sometimes age itself (or *growing* older I guess I should say) can bring about some of the engagement you are seeking without even necessarily changing your surroundings/activities/etc. But, you know, if you want to - do it. Think about it and then do it. Follow your bliss! <-- sorry, just channeling Joe Campbell :)

And thanks for sharing that reading list! Sometimes I shock and embarrass myself with how willing I can be to buy into the coveting of skinny.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, this is SO not your fault. Your coach is being an a-hole, and your response was way more appropriate than mine would have been. :)

If you want, I'll be your virtual running partner. We can schedule our runs and report back. I have spinning tonight, but I want to run a mile or two afterwards, and I am definitely running tomorrow. (email me if you want: annalisa [at] anaphase [dot] com

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone has already said it. Not your fault.

But I'd like to add that this guy was not a "friend". You may have had some friendly moments, but a guy that can't just come out and ask you on a legitimate date and goes on with this odd game playing is not a friend.

Had he asked you on a date, to formalize things and be more clear about his intentions, then you would have had an opportunity to say yes or no. Instead, knowing you needed a service that he could provide, it sounds like he took advantage of that and played it.

Not exactly a friend. Perhaps friendly at times, but not a friend.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger neca said...

That sucks. What else is there to say? Sheesh!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger neca said...

Can't find you email addy - but if you are interested, email me & I'll give you the low down on BFL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home