Monday, May 23, 2005

Catching the Baton

So Mia passed on this meme which has apparently been making the rounds of fitness blogs.

You are stuck inside Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
So, I guess the question is do I want to be the kind of book that gets burnt or the kind of book that's so important that someone will risk life and limb to guard me. I suppose I'd break the law of Bradbury's futuristic society for a book that would provide comfort in such harsh times. And for me, that book would be Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
My most enduring crush was on the character Calvin in A Wrinkle in Time. The majority of my pre-teen romantic fantasies starred Calvin. For years after reading this book I was convinced that I could only love a red-headed boy.

The last book you bought is?
La Perdida (1-5) by Jessica Abel. I've been on an illustrated novel jag lately, and can recommend the following: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi , Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman, Blankets by Craig Thompson and Epileptic by David B.

The last book you read was?
Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott

What are you currently reading?
The Passion by Jeanette Winterson and Lonely Planet Texas

Five books you would take to a deserted island?
This is hard, because I rarely re-read books, so some of these I haven't actually read:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, for nostalgia
My Antonia by Willa Cather, for nostalgia
Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton, because I read it recently and was struck by the imagery
The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, because I've been wanting to read this forever and being stranded on a desert island would be the perfect time to finally do so
Prisoner's Inventions by Angelo, because it's been on my to-read list for awhile and might make me creative enough to escape the island!

OK, I don't want to presume who will be reading my blog in the next few days, so to increase the chances of passing this meme on successfully, I pass the baton to either VJ or Liz or to anyone, really, who want to answer. Enjoy!

============
Quick exercise round-up since last post:

Wednesday: biking, 23 miles, part of which included The Ride of Silence
Thursday: biking, 11.5 miles; run, 40 minutes
Friday: steps on pedometer, 6,000
Saturday: none!
Sunday: biking, 28 miles

1 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jank said...

Wow! Over 60 miles on the bike for the week.

And I'm guessing you've got it, but the Texas Dept. of Parks and Rec guide to the State Parks is handy to have, if you're into hiking, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home