Monday, February 20, 2006

Austin Freescale Half-Marathon

Just my luck, I got to run my very first half-marathon on one of the coldest days of the year. It hovered below freezing for the entirety of my time on the course. People had frost on their hats.

Having said all that, I must say the run was also probably the most pleasant run I've ever had. The course, billed as the fastest course in the United States, was either flat or downhill most of the way and I'm sure that contributed to the sensation I had of just coasting over the road. After some muscle tightness in my legs and numb toes in the first three miles, the rest of the time I felt really, really good. No problems with energy, no problems with pain, no problems with self-doubt.

I decided in the end to stick with my running partner, and not to run with a personal time goal. I can run for time and ego in another race. We both crossed the finish with a chip times of 3:06. I'm happy with it. I got a pretty medal, I got to cheer for the awesome marathoners at their finish line and I got to eat a fat hamburger, pizza and homemade peach cobbler at the end. It was a solid, satisfying (and cold, did I mention cold?) day and everyone who participated deserves a Texas-sized star:



9 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Sounds like a great time in spite of the cold. Congratulations!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger brent said...

huh? i leave for a weekend, come back, and you ran a half on me?? sweet! that is awesome, well done megan!!!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME Megan! I was home, on the couch hanging out with a friend from LA. We gingerly avoided the course when we finally adventured out in the car. I got choked up when we went over a bridge and could see the runners down below. That run for me was one of the best days of my life. I'm tearing up now thinking about it. Mine was warm last year. Isn't the finish line of a large race just the most amazing place to be standing in your running shoes? CONGRATS! Hope you are recovering nicely and that your face hurts from the grin.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger neca said...

Yay Megan!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger BethK said...

Congratulations! That's so cool... and so cold! What's up with that? Between you and Renee you're messing with my Yankee brain that says "Down South" is always warm. It's too cruel. :-)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger vj said...

Congratulations!!!! Go, Megan!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Kate G. said...

Congrats! What an achievement

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Holy shit. How long have I been asleep? Bleated congratulations Megan! You ran your race, your way, and you wouldn't know how to do anything else. Stud.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

uh, that would be "belated". Although, sadly, "bleated" probably works to. *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home