Monday, November 07, 2005

Picture entry: Day of the Dead and Scooter Rally

Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos is a pretty big celebration locally, marked by several days-worth of events. I went to a mass and an altares/ofrendas exhibit in honor of the dead last week, and ran into the group I used to dance with, dressed up for their annual show:






This weekend was the 3rd Coast Scooter Rally, and I joined in on one of the rides along the Mission Trail. I met lots of interesting folks, and it was really fun to ride with a group that felt like a miscreant scooter gang. One of the stops was at Mission San Juan:




There were about 20 or so riders that day, but only about three women driving. Here's the lineup, in front of the Mission:




We also stopped at an historical and still functioning aqueduct built by the mission inhabitants. This is a view beneath the aqueduct bridge:




On the road, past the San Antonio River:




If you look close you can see some of the bee stickers I've used to decorate the scoot:




Afterwards there was a competition of sorts, in which I was immediately disqualified because I have no turning skillz:




It was a good weekend, jump-started by my Virgin Territory run of 7 miles, which actually came in around 6.5, so I feel like I can't really fully claim it as a full-on, bad-ass run. It didn't feel virgin enough. I have 8 miles in two weeks, so even if that course is short, it'll still be one I can feel like a tough chicka after.
Regardless, the run went well, and I kept to a 12 minute pace. I am on the prowl, though, for easily digestible pre-run meals. For this weekend's early-morning run, I had a banana and some soy milk (for the protein), but I was starving by mid-run. I'm just used to a full breakfast by that time, but I also get runner's trots pretty easily too, so I'm experimenting with non-distress breakfasts. Any suggestions are welcome! I'll be running a 5K next weekend at the San Antonio Marathon, so I'll have a race report then. I'm planning on actually racing, so I'm curious how all this slow, aerobic distance training will affect my time in comparison to previous 5k's.

(I'm turning on the word verification screener because the spam is driving me batty.)

5 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger brent said...

cool pictures! good run too. have fun at the 5k, that'll be cool to see how it goes. should be great. thanks again for the 30 comments megan! :)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Good to see you back in blogland! I'm so jealous of your scooter. I would love to have one until my husband reminded me that I would only be able to use it for 4 months living up here in Maine (kinda like a convertible-cool but useless).

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger neca said...

I like half a power bar & diet pepsi, and then some goo as needed for really long runs. I can't eat much of anything when I do long runs, but that seems to work just fine for me. It may not sound like much, but it's gotten me through some really long runs! Good luck - glad you had fun with the "scooter gang". :-)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger vj said...

I'd love to give you suggestions about prerun foods, but I haven't found an answer myself. I have colon-blast cereal (hmmm, maybe I should switch to capn crunch), and I'm hungry even before the event/walk/whatever begins. I've had good success with eating a lot of protein and staying full but haven't tried it before a walk, cuz I know these things are supposed to be all about carbs. Sigh.

The scooter ride sounds fun. I want bigger pictures! I wanna see your bee stickers! Too bad about the lack of women, though. The little club I ride with is maybe a third women, or less. The big club is probably close to half. But there is a huge element within it that's like, women are okay if you come to the strip clubs & drunk bus (usually hitting strip clubs) with us. While I want to be all groovy, and whatever, I'm just not okay with that, and I'm not looking for excuses to drink with strangers.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger annie said...

PBJ works okay for me. Not too heavy on the PB though, because protein mostly sits in my stomach like a rock and ruins the whole run.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home