Friday, October 14, 2005

Bike Lust

The past few weeks I've been swooning over some of the bikes I've considered as replacements for my kidnapped, long-lost and lamented bike. What I'm looking for is a super-bike, one that I can use for all of the following: daily commuting, completing century rides and other longer-distance recreational rides in relative comfort, hauling groceries and library books, riding on bumpy and pot-holed streets, and (in my fondest dreams) bike camping.

My research suggests that I should look into getting a touring road bike, rather that a sport road bike (putting aside the fact, for the moment, that my ass has never actually been on a road bike before). And, of course, my frugal nature is convinced that I can find this sterling bike at some bargain basement price.

Here is my epitome of this super-bike, the achingly lovely but astronomically out-of-my-price range, Rivendell Atlantis:



Here is a bike apparently built along the same rugged design lines as the Atlantis, but with a cheaper price point due to the lack of something beyond my ken called "lugs", but still pretty much beyond my price range. Part of the reason I swoon for it, though, is the awesome name, the Surly Long-Haul Trucker:



Fuji makes a pretty touring bike (and you know the degree of pretty is critical to this decision):


There are some touring bikes that seem too heavy-duty, though, like this one from Koga:



The guy at the bike shop this weekend had me look at two entry level sport road bikes, which I suppose I could outfit with racks, though I worry that they may not accept rough usage.
Here's the 2005 Specialized Dolce (a women-specific design):



And here's the 2005 Giant OCR3:


One of the cheapest (around $500) entry-level road bikes is made by Raleigh, to whom I feel some brand loyalty as they manufactured my beloved workhorse. Here's the Raleigh Sport:



Of course, I could chuck it all and go with the Xtracyle, which gets points for sheer utilitarian functionality, which makes me swoon in an entirely different way:



======
Hey y'all, I went crazy a few weeks ago and signed up for the half-marathon training program with the local FIT group. I'm on some kind of streak, because for the past three weeks I've completed every training and group run on my schedule. I even bought some Body Glide that has revolutionized my heretofore miserable running-short experience.

In a few weeks, the training schedule calls for a 7 mile run, which is virgin running territory for me. I try not to look at that entry in the calendar. I might be a wee bit scared.

I am, of course, one of the slowest runners in my training group, about a 12-13 minute mile. But, what can I say, it just feels better to run slow. I have more energy, I enjoy it more, I get less aches and stomach cramping, I can indulge in a gossipy conversation with my running partners. Works for me.

The interesting thing about the FIT program is that it calls for three training runs during the week, none of which seem to last more than 40 minutes, and then a long run each Saturday. Even the marathoners are training like this. I wonder if this is a controversial training plan? I mean, it certainly works great in terms of scheduling, but I wonder if it's an effective training approach. I know my previous running coach didn't particularly like the FIT philosophy, but I also know that my friend Nic finished the marathon last year with this program, and so have others nationwide.

But I'm happy that I'm back into running. I feel better, physically. I still have some shin splint problems, but I've been icing the shin so maybe that will help.

Austin Freescale Half-Marathon 2006, here I come!

9 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

There you are! Missed you so.

The bikes look fun, though they all blur together for me at some point. Just that last one though caught my eye because I, too, enjoy it's no nonsense nature.

And look at you. Training for a half! I would love to (re)do the SF Half in February, also, but you're way ahead of me in the training and motivation department. You've inspired me, though, and I'm running about a 12 minute mile right now too. So, maybe it's not as crazy as I thought!

I'm so glad you wrote.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger KJ said...

I'm glad to see you're back. I'm buying a bike to help cross train, I talked to the owner of the local triathlete shop(which pimarily sells bikes) and the KHS EAstwood is what we came up with as the best bike for what I want to do. It is a hybrid bike(part road/part touring?)and they assured me it would be a great bike if I ever decided to do a Sprint triathlon.
Make sure you follow your mileage increases and slow it down if there's any pains at all. My knees are still sore from my Half 2 weeks ago. No more running for me until they heal up :(

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny! I'm also in the same exact kind of bike lust. And my top two favorites??? Yep, you guessed it: the Rivendell Atlantis (*swoooon*) and the Surly Long-Haul Trucker (*droooool*). The Xtracycles are definitely AWESOME, but I just don't see them being all that comfortable on century rides so I automatically ruled them out. Truth be told, I WANT A SURLY! I wonder how generous Santa is feeling this year??? Wouldn't it be cool if we BOTH got our dream bikes for Christmas??? Ok. A girl can dream, can't she?? :)

By the way, welcome back!! :)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger brent said...

thats awesome that you are training for the half megan!! can't wait to watch your progress. and remember, you don't have to be at the front of the pack to have an amazing experience both during training at during the race. good times!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger vj said...

Wuhoo, Megan! I'm training for Austin too. I haven't told Joe that yet, or my mother, but that's my plan. Hurrah! Yay, good on you for training with SAF!

The USA (and Canada) Fit programs have been really successful as training programs for marathons and halves. The reason they go with times is that they are figuring that people are new to running or walking, and thus, saying 40 minutes is easier than saying, run 3 miles. But it really does work. The weekdaily mileage is to build up your feet and your capacity to burn fat, and the long days establish endurance. And yes, go at a speed that feels good. The best possible training speed is one where you feel like you can go on forever.

Bikes. Hmmm. I want an xtracycle too! I'm hoping to get one with a stokemonkey if I do okay on taxes in April. Surlys are indestructible, from what I hear. Crystal from Girlbike has a Long-Haul Trucker, and I think having a Surly establishes you as a serious bikehead.

Joe and I have Electra Townies. There are pros and cons to these. They are supercomfy, and fun to ride, but they're not superfast. Joe's 24 speed can take any hills thrown at it. The 3 speed is a little limited with its ability on hills. Mine was $375, Joe's a hundred more.

So glad you're back!!!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Ok, now that I am Miss-Half-Marathon-Big-Freakin-Expert, I am here to say you will have so much fun doing the 1/2!! I am still shaking my head and thinking, I never thought 13 miles could be so enjoyable!

You're FIT schedule sounds reasonable to me - I was mostly doing three 40 or 50 minute runs during the week and a long run on the weekend per a John Bingham schedule and I felt I was well prepared. Plus, we don't like your previous running coach all that much so his opinion is invalidated ;)

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger neca said...

Glad to see you back!

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Trek, Giant, and a Raleigh. I love the Giant best of all, and not just for the price. How does the saying go - the best tme to exercise is when you actually do it (instead of not at all). So the best bike is the one that you'll ride. If it's for the fun of riding, you can't go wrong with any of them.

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surly will be coming out with the Big Dummy frame soon, the functionality of the Xtracycle as a unified frame. I am going to be looking at that for sure.
In addition to the LHT the brand new for 08 Raleigh Sojourn looks to be worth checking in the coming year, with reynolds tubing, disc brakes and a real Brooks saddle.
However it seems any old cross bike could work for the type of moderate riding you are looking to do next.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home